Friday, September 6, 2019

Assignment 3A My Entrepreneurship Story

My Entrepreneurship Story
My first initial experience of being exposed to entrepreneurship, was during my freshman year of high school. I was a part of the Academy of Finance, which was a four-year academy that went over many aspects of finance including accounting, stocks, management, and entrepreneurship. The last topic that was covered in the first course of the academy, Finance and Business Technology, was entrepreneurship. We spent a week watching episodes of Shark Tank, a show in which seeking entrepreneurs pitch their businesses in front of five investors in hopes that their company will be invested. The following week, we were given a final project inspired by the show, in which we would be the entrepreneurs and would have to give a business presentation with details including what our company was, price of our product, how much were we are asking for, cost to produce our products, what we expect to use the money for, etc. in front of the class.

Developing a business concept for this project was challenging for me, because I had trouble coming up with something that had not yet been discovered or developed. Though, my teacher recommended us to look into solving an existing problem or adding and improving upon an existing product, similar to the bug list assignment. With that said, I always had brought a perfume bottle in my backpack everyday, yet the school had a policy of not spraying fragrances in the classroom due to the concern of triggering asthma attacks and or allergies. In which, one day while I was in class, I was still in search of a business concept, when I came across my perfume bottle and remembered the policy correspondent to the bottle. Subsequently, I came up with the idea to produce a product that would be a substance that could be poured into fragrances that would prevent that fragrance from triggering allergies or asthma attacks. With a set business concept, I began my project and went through the guidelines.

I named my product "Ease Breeze" and did a lot of research to meet the guidelines required in the business presentations. This research included figuring out how much I should price the product, figuring out how much it would be to produce the product, and developing a pitch price based off of these factors. With that, when it came to presenting my pitch to the class, I gained a lot of positive feedback from the class and received an A+ on the project. Reflecting upon the project, it wasn't until after I completed the project when I realized how many factors that requires research and logic, that goes into entrepreneurship. Though, overall I enjoyed the project as a whole, as it gave me that initial step and taste of what the entrepreneurial world is like.

Why I enrolled in ENT 3003
Ultimately, I enrolled in ENT 3003 because I wanted to explore entrepreneurship, as I am considering minoring in entrepreneurship. Being in the Academy of Finance, I was able to get a glimpse of what it would be like, but I still wanted more. In which, I hope to gain more knowledge and experience pertaining entrepreneurship out of this class, as I find these principles to be applicable in the real world, entrepreneur or not. I also found this class to be a good course to test the waters in potentially minoring in entrepreneurship. And even if I decide not to minor in entrepreneurship, I still believe that this is a beneficial course to take along the way.

SHARK TANK - "Episode 1001" - An entrepreneur from Atlanta, Georgia, introduces a smart device designed specifically to protect your packages from package thieves; an unexpected entrepreneur from Dalton, Georgia, invented a nontoxic and nonpermanent adhesive created for kids, by a kid; entrepreneurs from Santa Fe, New Mexico, and Los Angeles, California, believe they have created the solution to plastic straws and want the Sharks to suck responsibly with their new product; and husband and wife entrepreneurs from Spokane, Washington, believe they have created the next evolution in camping cookware and hope to change the way people eat outdoors, on the season premiere of "Shark Tank," SUNDAY, OCT. 7 (10:00-11:00 p.m. EDT), on The ABC Television Network. (ABC/Eric McCandless)MARK CUBAN, JAMIE SIMINOFF, KEVIN O'LEARY, LORI GREINER, DAYMOND JOHN, LEE PHILLIPS (LE-GLUE)


3 comments:

  1. I have a similar issue when it comes to coming up with unique ideas and solutions. Being innovative in such a competitive economy is very challenging. Especially when considering how many smart and talented individuals there are. Your business idea seems very smart, but difficult to create. A lot of research and development would have to go into a product like Ease Breeze.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Davina,

    I found your story interesting as I was in my school's academy of entrepreneurship in high school. I enjoyed learning about entrepreneurship but I also wanted to take a deeper dive with this course. Unlike you, I find developing business ideas to be one of my strongest areas but I must say I do like your idea! It is interesting how different something can be in the real world opposed to just learning about it from a book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Davina,

    I really resonated with your experience in high school, as I was also in a finance magnet program in high school. We also completed the course Financial Business Technology, although we did not have a section dedicated to entrepreneurship. I definitely agree with your analysis that this course is applicable to real life, even if you do not pursue entrepreneurship.

    ReplyDelete