Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Assignment 11A Idea Napkin No. 1


  • Who are you?
    • My name is Davina, and I am an 18-year-old freshman at the University of Florida. I am an Accounting major who intends on joining the 3/2 Program. My aspiration is to become a CPA and work in an accounting firm. I would consider myself to be self-driven, hard working, detail-oriented, organized and I obtain leadership qualities. My past experiences with volunteer work and a three year internship at a federal credit union, have helped to further these skills that can be applied towards furthering this business concept. If I were to start this business concept, it would play a huge role in my life, knowing that I had been able to satisfy other's needs with a solution. 
  • What are you offering to customers?
    • I am offering credit/debit card users a product to help deter and prevent credit card fraud by skimming. With technological advances rising, it has become more efficient to get away with credit card fraud through skimming by hacking card readers with a small device that is able to read card information without consumer's knowing. In which, my product is solving this unmet need of the prevention of credit card fraud by notifying if a skimmer is apparent beforehand, in order to prevent the fraud. In other words, my product functions in a way that consumers will be able to check the card reader for skimmers before using, indicated by a green or red light, to avoid credit card fraud.
  • Who are you offering it to?
    • I am offering my product to credit or debit card users in Florida. This is mainly directed to those in Florida, because according to Credit Sesame, Florida is considered a high risk state in terms of credit card fraud, with high credit card complaints of 60 per 100,000 residents. Eventually, I will then venture out my business to market in other states. As for the targeted market in Florida, I am specifically offering the product to those who use a credit or debit card, because they are the ones that skimmers target. 
  • Why do they care? 
    • I believe that people will purchase my product because all of the incidents with credit card fraud through skimming have one thing in common: the victims of fraud were unaware of when it had happened. That is what has makes skimming so successful, the fact that skimmers are able to steal credit card information from consumers through card readers without them even knowing. In which, this leads to the notion that consumers are never really fully aware until after the damage has been done. Therefore, with this common problem of not exactly knowing of whether they are facing fraud or not, consumers will seek my solution of preventing the fraud before the damage can be done. In which, my product will appeal to consumers, as they will be able to become aware of the issue before the issue of skimmers can negatively affect them.
  • What are your core competencies?
    • This idea is set apart from everyone else, as although there has been steps towards preventing credit card fraud through skimming, the problem is still occurring. In which, my solution is able to solve this issue by preventing the fraud beforehand, with the ability to check for skimmers. Whereas, other solutions in the past- including the avoidance of using card, being cautious of where you are inserting your card, and or EMV chips- have helped to lower the risk of fraud, but have not completely prevented it. 
  • Evaluation
    • Overall, I think that these elements work well together with the unmet need, targeted customers, reasoning, and solution. Though, one major drawback is the production of this product. I do not have any connections with people that can drive the product forward, as it is a complicated concept that would need to require professional technology. In which, this is why I would plan to start in one specific area first, then wait to see if my business can branch out. Seeing that this is a global problem, it raises pressures to making an effective product. 

3 comments:

  1. Hey Davina,

    I really liked your post and thought that it was very well thought out and articulated. I think that your business idea is very useful and I really appreciate that you were so specific with its purpose and that you researched thoroughly the markets you were going to first target before branching out. I found it very interesting that Florida is a high risk state, I did not know that before your post, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Davina,

    I really liked how you introduced and presented yourself. I really appreciated your honesty in not knowing many people who would be able to produce the project; I think this transparency will only help you. I really liked how you detailed how other people have tried to prevent the issue, rather than stopping at the source.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Davina,

    I think your knowledge and past experiences will help you carry out this business idea really well. I like the way you introduced yourself because you sound confident within yourself and your abilities. Confidence will take you so far in everything that you do.

    ReplyDelete